Yet Another Haphazard Peanut Gallery

This is my second attempt at blogging. For the most part, the entires on this new blog will be about the daily grind that comes with living and training in Tokyo. There might not be many posts on aikido, but certainly expect to find a lot of ranting about Japanese society and shallow observations of budo, especially swordsmanship.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Tamachi and Asakusa for Valentine's Day

Gosoke has been leading a regular kata practice on Saturday mornings in Tamachi since the beginning of this month. So far, the practices have been just as he promised: nothing but the basics.
As far as my iai training goes, I tend to be manic depressive. I have a great practice one day and then the absolute worst practice imaginable the next time I show my ugly face in the dojo. This week was no exception. Tuesday night I went to help Mugaido Tencho Sakaguch sent up for his cutting practice. I cut about six rolls... poorly. Sure my gyakugesas land so cleanly at this point that the wara hardly moves (the video from the previous post withstanding), yet yoko-ichi has continued to perplex me. It's so damn SIMPLE though! I have the blade angle, but the mechanics of the cut still aren't right. Nuki-chi gyakugesa refuses to cooperate as well. I cut, and one layer of the roll is left. It's taken me over two years to get to this point. It's never taken me this long to learn anything before. I was so upset that I almost quit iai entirely. I did compromise, however, by making the leap to join Hataya Sensei's dojo in March.

This afternoon I went up to Asakusa for the first time in a while to look around. I ended up getting a flower arrangement stand hand-carved out of kiri ("paulowina" in English) for Kei for Valentine's Day. She just couldn't control herself with all the excitement of receiving roses - or any flower for that matter - for the first time (I'm the man) that she wasn't sure what to do with them. I took this picture just in time to stop her from devouring my romantic endeavor.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home