Yet Another Haphazard Peanut Gallery

This is my second attempt at blogging. For the most part, the entires on this new blog will be about the daily grind that comes with living and training in Tokyo. There might not be many posts on aikido, but certainly expect to find a lot of ranting about Japanese society and shallow observations of budo, especially swordsmanship.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Nerf Bats, Video Cameras, and Swords: Swordsmanship for the Twenty-First Century

It makes me wonder how the heck they did it two hundred years ago.

Last night in Machida, I had a relatively productive night of cutting. In Mugai, I get free reign to cut any way I see fit. If I need to work on a specific technique, I can just start hacking away until I find what my body needs to get the sword moving through the target correctly. However, since I've only been doing Toyama-ryu for three weeks, I'm not allowed to cut anything but kesa. Kesa, kesa, then more kesa... All the while everyone else is getting to do weird, totally impractical waza like Nami Gaeshi. No matter. I joined the Machida dojo specifically because I wanted to slow down my sword training and let it ferment like fine wine. God I hate that cliche... but I used it anyway. Sensei also brought out his video camera and taped us during our last round of cutting. At least my posture doesn't suck.
After cutting, Sensei busted out the nerf baseball bats and thick foam headgear. He then proceeded to beat the snot out of me without warning. I thought he was just going to show me some hardcore technique, but he ran at me, dove to the floor, and started swinging away at my ankles instead. The only thought that went through my mind as I tumbled to the floor (cleanly... thank you aikido) was, "I wonder why he made me wear headgear?" His top student did the same thing but decided to go for my balls instead. Without nerf, I'd be sterile. Apparently it doesn't count unless you violently slap your opponent down, but I did manage to send a few tsukis to the faces of my various partners as they repeatedly dove for my feet and/or crotch. Free-for-alls might teach you about speed, timing, and ma-ai, but there's something about it that doesn't feel right. We spend all this time perfecting various techniques that we immediately discard in an actual combat situation. It's my mission to find that fine line and walk it. I lost every time, but I did come close to scoring on several occassions without breaking down my kamae or technique. One day at a time!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home